Please refrain from contacting our office to inquire about receipt of documents (or to ask for the status of your application). Due to the high volume of applications we receive each cycle, we are unable to respond to each individual request. 


If I have questions, who should I contact?

Send an email to

My background is not in engineering. Am I still eligible for admission?

The Samueli School of Engineering requires a bachelor of science degree in one of the following areas:

  • Engineering
  • Computer Science
  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Chemistry

If you find your B.S. degree to be equivalent to one of the above disciplines, please send an unofficial transcript to: for a preliminary evaluation.

Where can I find enrollment stats?

UCEE (University Wide Council on Engineering Education) (Updated annually in November) 

Enrollment data (by major) can also be found under the Programs section of our website. 


How much is the application fee?

The non-refundable application fee is $135 USD for US and Permanent Residents and $155 USD for all other applicants.

The application fee must be paid before an application can be processed. (UCLA accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express).

For more information, please visit:

Can I apply for Winter or Summer admission? What are the deadlines?

Applications are only accepted in Fall and Spring.

Fall deadline: 5/15

Spring deadline: 12/1

I uploaded copies of my transcript as part of my application. Do I also have to mail copies to UCLA?

Yes. Alternatively, you may order an e-transcript and have it sent to:

Mailed transcripts can be sent to:

4732 BOELTER HALL BOX 951601

What is the minimum GPA required for admission?

Entering students are required to have completed a B.S. degree with at least a 3.0 GPA in all coursework taken in their junior and senior years.

Are there minimum GRE scores required for admission?

There are no minimum GRE scores required.  However, most admitted applicants have GRE scores competitive with the average scores of recently admitted students.

Please note: GRE test scores can be waived for well qualified applicants–please e-mail to inquire.

I submitted my GRE scores. Why does the application say it's missing?

When viewing the online application checklist, it may indicate “missing” items from your application. Currently, the test score section of the checklist is not accurately displaying the actual receipt of test scores (GRE, TOEFL).  Please disregard this information.  We will e-mail you directly if we are missing materials.  

How do I submit my letters of recommendation?

The online application will allow you to enter three names and their corresponding e-mail addresses. The application system will then prompt the designated individuals to complete a recommendation on your behalf (where letters can be uploaded/transmitted to the application portal).

(You will not be required to seek letters in advance, nor can you upload the letter yourself).

Only three letters of recommendation are required.

Do I have to take the TOEFL?

Any applicant whose first language is not English must certify proficiency in English when applying to UCLA.  Such applicants must submit scores received on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as part of their application. The TOEFL is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). IELTS is administered by local IELTS test centers throughout the world. Applicants should consult IELTS for the nearest test center.

Do you make exceptions for the TOEFL?

There are no exceptions to the UCLA’s policy about the English requirement. To be waived from the TOEFL requirement, applicants must hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from a university located in the United States or in another country in which English is both the primary spoken language of daily life and the language of instruction and the medium of instruction (Australia, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, United Kingdom), or who have completed at least two years of full-time study at such an institution.

Application Status

It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required application materials by the application deadline. We kindly ask that you refrain from contacting our office regarding the status of your application, or to verify if materials have been received. Due to the high volume of applications we receive each cycle, we are unable to respond to these requests. Doing so will only delay the review of all applications.

All admission decisions are sent via e-mail.  

I have been recommended for admission. What happens next?

While MSOL may send a courtesy email with a recommendation of admission, only official notification from the dean of the UCLA Division of Graduate Education (DGE) constitutes approval of admission. When a decision is made, applicants will receive an email, directing them to the DGE’s application site to check their “Decision Status.” Applicants should sign-in to their application account to read the official decision letter. If admitted, the conditions of admission and information and instructions concerning registration (via a link to the Statement of Intent to Register – SIR) will be included as part of the offer of admission letter. This letter can also be printed from the Graduate Education site if desired. Admission letters are only available electronically and are not mailed to applicants.

Is there a deadline to submit my SIR?

The deadline to submit your intent to register (SIR) is the first day of instruction, which can be found on our Academic Calendar.

We encourage applicants who have received an offer of admission to submit the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) as soon as they have decided on a graduate program.  Please note that if you submit your SIR after the term’s payment due date, you will be charged a late registration fee. To view important dates/deadlines for each quarter, please visit:

I just submitted my SIR, why can't I enroll?

After you submit your intent to register, it takes 2-3 business days for your enrollment to become active.  After that period has elapsed, you will be able to register in a course.

If I was not admitted, can I reapply?

Applicants who are not admitted can reapply the following academic year.  


What are the majors currently offered? What courses are required?

Courses are listed by area of study on our homepage. Please click on the associated link.

UCLA is on the quarter system. The MS Engineering degree requirements include *nine 4-credit hour courses. (Note that a 4-credit hour course on the quarter system covers the same course material as a 3-credit hour course taught on the semester system).

* A student may propose a sequence he/she is interested in which may mix courses from various areas. As part of the proposal, the student must list the courses he/she wishes to take and must demonstrate that course pre-requisites would not be a issue. The student’s proposal will be subject to faculty review and approval. Scheduled course offerings can be found here:

How long does it take to finish the program?

Our part-time program is designed for students to take one course per quarter. This would allow a student to finish the program in two years + one quarter (provided the student enrolls consecutively each quarter). You can however, finish earlier by taking two courses per quarter, provided there are multiple courses offered within your area of study.

If you are working full time, we encourage you to take one course per quarter.

What is the weekly time commitment for each course?

Each course is generally a 15-30 hour a week commitment.

Are courses fully asynchronous?

The MSOL program is a part time degree program designed for working professionals. MSOL courses can be accessed online and asynchronously from anywhere in the world.

Optional live components of the MSOL program include: orientation, office hours, bonus lectures, and graduation. These activities are optional but encouraged.

Please note that MSOL exams are typically held in person. You may test on-campus at UCLA or off-campus with a qualified proctor of your choice. For more information, please see the MSOL exam information page.

How do I enroll?

Please log-on to MyUCLA to self-enroll in courses for the upcoming term.

What is the estimated cost of the program?

Each course is $4,200 (The fee for the 9-course program is $37,800). Courses taken through UNEX are assessed an additional $300 University Extension processing fee.

With respect to additional costs for textbooks, UCLA instructors sometimes use their own notes and other times use texts, etc. Generally, we are unaware of the exact cost until the course begins. On average, an estimate of about $100.00 can be expected to be added per course.

Do I have to complete the UC SHIP waiver or immunization requirement?

Students in the MSOL Program are not required to complete the UC SHIP waiver or the campus immunization requirement.

Do I have to be enrolled in the program to take a course?

No, it is not necessary to be enrolled in the program to take an MSOL course. Non-matriculating students may take courses through UCLA’s University Extension (UNEX). The cost is $4,200 plus a $300 University Extension processing fee. For more information, please view our course registration page for a list of course offerings, then e-mail to seek permission to enroll.

With respect to additional costs for textbooks, UCLA instructors sometimes use their own notes and other times use texts, etc. Generally, we are unaware of the exact cost until the course begins. On average, an estimate of about $100.00 can be expected to be added per course.

Can I defer my admission?

Unfortunately, you cannot defer your admission to UCLA.  If you are unable to attend in the quarter you were admitted, you will need to reapply for the next admission cycle.

If you decide to reapply, we can re-use the supplemental materials that were previously submitted, i.e. official transcript, personal statement, letters of recommendation, etc. but you will have to formally submit a new application and pay the application fee. 


What is the calendar for the MSOL Program?

The MSOL Program follows the traditional campus calendar:

Will the degree or transcript state “Masters Online”?

Each student’s transcript will list courses by the department name/course number in the same fashion as they are for on-campus programs. The transcript’s degree designation will read “Master of Science in Engineering – (Your Major)” and there is no mention of “online” on your diploma. For students enrolled in the Data Science, Engineering Management, Mechanics of Structures, Reliability Engineering, Systems Engineering, or Sustainable Water programs, degrees will be titled as: Master of Science in Engineering with an additional (separate) Certificate of Specialization in your area.

I studied in Indonesia where all of my courses were taught in English. Am I exempt from TOEFL?

No, you are not exempt.

The UCLA Graduate Division indicates that only applicants who hold a B.S. or higher degree from a university located in the United States or in another country in which English is both the primary spoken language of daily life and the medium of instruction (or who have completed at least two years of full-time study at such an institution) are exempt from the TOEF/IELTS requirement.

Countries where English is both the primary spoken language of daily life and the medium of instruction: 

  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • Canada
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • United Kingdom

Where can I learn about MSOL faculty?

A list of faculty members who teach for MSOL can be found here:

What do MSOL graduates have to say about the program?

Student testimonials can be found here:

Can I transfer graduate level courses taken during my undergrad?

Per the Standards & Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA (pg 7), courses that have been applied to a previous degree cannot be transferred into your graduate academic record:

“Courses taken for any other degree previously awarded at UCLA or another institution, and courses taken before the award of the bachelor’s degree may not be applied toward a graduate degree at UCLA.”

Can I transfer a graduate level course from another institution?

UCLA’s Transfer Credit policy:

  • Max of two courses may transfer
  • Course(s) must be at the graduate level
  • Must have earned a “B” or better 
  • Course(s) must not have been applied to a previous degree or certificate
  • Courses(s) must closely align to a course offered at UCLA
  • Course(s) must be completed prior to the student’s admittance date (UCLA does not allow concurrent enrollment at other institutions). 

If you meet the above requirements, please send the following information to: for a preliminary evaluation:

  1. Your name and the program you are applying to (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Data Science etc).
  2. Course title + official course description (web links from the university are preferred)
  3. Course syllabus
  4. Specify whether the units are quarter or semester units

Please allow 3-4 weeks for a response.  If the course is approved for transfer, you will be notified via e-mail.  Please save the “approval” e-mail. 

A maximum of two courses completed with a minimum grade of ‘B’ in graduate status at institutions other than UC may apply to UCLA master’s programs. Two courses would be the equivalent of eight quarter units or five semester units. They may not fulfill the minimum five graduate-course requirement or the academic residence requirement.  The approval of the Graduate Division and the student’s major department is required on a petition for transfer of credit.

Can I transfer from the MSOL program to the on-campus Master's program?

Transfers from the MSOL program to an on-campus Master’s program are contingent upon departmental review. Admission is neither automatic nor guaranteed.
While the MSOL program is not a pipeline to on-campus programs, you are welcome to inquire within your target department. Some students have been successful in their request to transfer. Other students have not.
Ultimately, we encourage you to first pursue the program which best suits your needs. Unlike full-time campus programs, the MSOL program is a part-time online program geared toward working professionals.
To those interested in taking a combination of campus and online courses, please refer to the Hybrid MS Program page.