Transcripts that are uploaded to the application portal are not considered official.
IMPORTANT: Please disregard the checklist on the online application that may indicate a missing GRE score; it is not accurate. We will contact you via e-mail if there are items missing from your application.
Transcripts that are uploaded to the online application are not considered official. An official transcript is defined as:
- A transcript enclosed in a sealed envelope, sent directly from the institution and mailed to UCLA.
- An electronic (PDF) transcript, ordered directly from the institution and sent to:
- Once official transcripts are received, they become the property of UCLA and cannot be returned to the applicant.
UCLA Samueli School of Engineering, Master of Science Engineering (MSOL) Program
4732 Boelter Hall, Box 951601, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1601
APPLICANTS WITH A CONFERRED BACHELOR’S DEGREE:
- Order an official transcript to be delivered via mail OR by electronic submission (e-transcript).
- If you completed your undergraduate degree at UCLA, please notify us via e-mail with your UID# as we can pull your transcript internally.
APPLICANTS WITHOUT A CONFERRED BACHELOR’S DEGREE (UNDERGRADUATE WORK IN PROGRESS):
- If you still have work in progress, we can evaluate your application based on your unofficial transcripts. Those who are recommended for admission will be asked to submit official transcripts with the final degree conferral + award date.
- Special note: International applicants should still submit official transcripts to continue the review process (and to avoid delays with the receipt of transcripts).
- If this requirement has been waived, you may bypass this section of the application.
- For the scores to match up electronically, applicants must use exactly the same personal information (name, date of birth, SSN if available) on the GRE application as on the UCLA graduate application. They must also request that scores be sent to UCLA, the GRE department code for the MSOL program is 9655. Applicants should submit their application by the published deadline whether or not they have received their official scores.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- Applicants are required to provide three letters of recommendation. Deciding between academic/professional references (or a combination of both) is at the applicant’s discretion.
- The application portal allows you to list four names and their corresponding professional email addresses. Our program only requires three references. The application system will automatically prompt them to complete an evaluation and/or upload a letter on your behalf.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
- Describe your purpose in applying for graduate study. In particular, describe the relationship between your chosen area of study and your current or future employment. Include any additional information that may aid in the evaluation of your preparation for graduate study at UCLA.
- Guidance from the University of California
When applying to a UCLA graduate program, each international applicant is required to submit official academic records from all academic institutions attended. Official records are defined as original documents issued by the institution—not photocopies—which bear the actual signature of the Registrar and the seal of the issuing institution. If you have attended more than one institution, separate official records should be submitted by each institution.
If your first language is not English, you must certify proficiency in English when you apply to UCLA. If you are admitted, you may also be required to confirm your proficiency upon arrival. Your test results can help you determine whether you are prepared to undertake graduate study conducted in English.
Special note: If you studied at a satellite campus located in a country where English is not the primary spoken language of daily life, be sure to submit recent TOEFL or IELTS Academic scores. Citizenship, U.S. residence and/or work experience are not substitutes for meeting the requirement.
Minimum IELTS & TOEFL Scores
Special COVID-19 Notice:
TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition scores will be accepted for the 2021-22 application cycle. Please see below for minimum requirements.
UCLA does not currently accept MyBest TOEFL scores.
Your IELTS Academic overall band score should be at least 7.0. 7.0 is the minimum required.
Your TOEFL score on the paper and pencil test must be at least 560 or at least 87 on the internet-based test. These scores represent the minimum required for applicants to graduate programs at UCLA.
For the internet-based TOEFL (TOEFL iBT), the following are the expected scores for each section:
- Writing: 25
- Speaking: 24
- Reading: 21
- Listening: 17
Please note that these expected section scores help you judge your English language ability in different areas. Your application is not complete without the test scores.
Be sure to list the TOEFL institution code for UCLA 4837.
Ask IELTS to send your scores to your major department and the Graduate Division.
Foreign language ability can fade quickly, so please note that TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for only two years. The scores must be valid at the time you submit your application. If you took the examination multiple times, only the most recent score is considered.