FAQs for PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS ONLY
What are the majors currently offered? What courses are required?
How do I enroll?
What is the estimated cost of the program?
Do I have to be enrolled in the program to take a course?
What are the hardware and software requirements in order to complete coursework?
Send an email to .
The non-refundable application fee ($105.00 for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents; $125.00 for all other applicants) can be paid by credit card.
The application fee must be paid before an application can be processed.
UCLA accepts Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
For more information, go to https://grad.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/admisinfo.html#Fees
Courses are listed by area of study on the home web page. Click the associated link. UCLA is on the quarter system. The MS Engineering degree requirements include eight 4-credit hour courses plus a project course. (Note that a 4-credit hour course on the quarter system covers the same course material as a 3-credit hour course taught on the semester system.)
* A student may propose a sequence he/she is interested in which may mix courses from various areas. As part of the proposal the student must list the courses he/she wishes to take and must demonstrate that course pre-requisites would not be a problem. The student’s proposal will be subject to faculty review and approval. Scheduled course offerings are found under the “current students” link.
The Academic Student Affairs Counselor will manually enroll you in your online courses for the M.S. online program.
Each course is $3,850 (The fee for the 9-course program is $34,650). Courses taken through UNEX or during Summer term are assessed an additional $300 University Extension processing fee.
With respect to additional costs for textbooks, UCLA instructors sometimes use their own notes and other times use texts, etc. Generally we don’t know these exact costs until the course begins. On average, an estimate of about $100.00 can be expected to be added per course.
No, you do not need to be enrolled in the program to take a course. Off-campus students may take courses through UCLA’s University Extension (UNEX). The cost is $3,850 plus a $300 Univeristy Extenstion processing fee. For more information on UNEX courses and registration please go to: http://www.uclaextension.edu/
This can vary greatly depending on the course you are taking. In general, the program provides remote access to the engineering software required for the course. For the more graphic intensive applications, a wired network system is desired. Overall you will require:
- A broadband connection (Cable, Fiber, or DSL)
- Remote Desktop capability to remote.seas.ucla.edu (if needed for your class).
- Adobe Flash Player plugin (9.0.0 or greater) must be installed.
- An acceptable version of a browser for your platform as shown below:
- Windows 7 & 8.1: IE 9+, Firefox 28+, and Chrome 34+
- Mac OS X 10.9: Firefox 28+, Chrome 34+, and Safari 6.0+
- Linux Red Hat 6: Firefox 28+
The M.S. Engr. online program follows the same calendar as the on campus programs.
Refer to: http://registrar.ucla.edu/Calendars/Overview
Each student’s transcript will list courses by department name and course number, in the same manner as they are for the on-campus programs. The transcript’s degree designation will read “Master of Science in Engineering- (Your Major)” there will be no mention of “online” on the final Diploma. Students enrolled in Engineering Management & Systems Engineering programs, degrees will be Master of Science in Engineering with an additional certificate of specialization in your area will also be provided upon completion.
Please complete our survey.