The minimum requirements for admission to graduate study at UCLA are:
- A bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline, Mathematics, or Physics (NO EXCEPTIONS). Please submit an official transcript via mail OR by electronic submission (e-mail). Please note: Transcripts that are uploaded to the application portal are not considered official. In order to begin the review process, an official transcript must be submitted via mail or e-mail.
Mailing address: UCLA Samueli School of Engineering, MS Engr Online Program: 4732 Boelter Hall, Box 951601, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1601
Electronic delivery (must be sent directly from the institution, not by the student)
- A GPA of 3.0 in the last two years of undergraduate coursework
- GRE test scores (can be waived for well qualified applicants–please e-mail to inquire)
- Three letters of recommendation. Upon filling out the application choose “Graduate Division” as the recommendation type.
- Statement of Purpose (Personal History Statement is NOT REQUIRED)
- TOEFL/ELST (Required for international applicants)
In addition to the UCLA requirements, the MS Engineering Online Program requires the following:
- A degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, or the equivalent
- A GPA above the UCLA minimum threshold
- Alternatively, if your GPA is very close to the UCLA threshold, please provide:
- Strong GRE test scores.
- Strong letters of recommendation addressing your work experience in the area
- or strong grades in graduate courses within the chosen area of study (A- or better)
Statement of Purpose:
Describe your purpose in applying for graduate study. In particular, describe the relationship between your chosen area of study and your current or future employment. Include any additional information that may aid in the evaluation of your preparation for graduate study at UCLA.
The faculty associated with the applicant’s chosen area-of-study (specialization) generally evaluate applicants based upon:
- The applicant’s coursework in courses related to the chosen area-of-study
- The applicant’s work experience in relation to the chosen area-of-study
- The applicant’s Statement of Purpose
- The applicant’s recommendations
Please be advised that all admissions decisions are sent via e-mail. We kindly request that you refrain from phoning our office regarding timelines or admission decisions.
IMPORTANT: Please avoid the checklist on the online application that may indicate missing items such as your GRE score, or other items. WE WILL CONTACT YOU DIRECTLY if there are items missing from your application.
Application deadline for the fall term is May 15th; the spring term deadline is December 1st.
When applying to the MSOL Program, please choose major ENGINEERING – Your Chosen Area of Study, Online, (i.e. Engineering – Integrated Circuits, Online). For students interested in Systems, Engineering Management, Data Science, Sustainable Water Engineering, Mechanics of Structures, or Reliability Engineering, please choose ENGINEERING – Online.