UCLA Admission Requirements
The minimum requirements for admission to graduate study at UCLA are:
- A bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline, mathematics, or physics (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- A GPA of 3.0 in the last two years of undergraduate coursework
- GRE test scores (can be waived for well qualified applicants–please e-mail to inquire)
- TOEFL/ELST (Required for international applicants)
In addition to the requirements above, the MS Engineering Online Program requires the following:
- A degree in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, or the equivalent
- A GPA above the UCLA minimum threshold
- Alternatively, if your GPA is very close to the UCLA threshold, please provide:
- Strong GRE test scores
- Outstanding letters of recommendation addressing your work experience in the area
- Exceptional grades in graduate courses within the chosen area of study (A- or better)
- Fall: May 15th
- Spring: December 1st
When applying to the MSOL Program, please choose major ENGINEERING – Your Chosen Area of Study, Online, (i.e. Engineering – Integrated Circuits, Online). For students interested in Systems, Engineering Management, Data Science, Sustainable Water Engineering, Mechanics of Structures, or Reliability Engineering, please choose ENGINEERING – Online.
- Submit official transcripts: Order an official transcript to be delivered via mail OR by electronic submission (e-transcript). International applicants: please click here to read additional information on submitting international transcripts.
- Please note: Transcripts that are uploaded to the application portal are not considered official. In order to begin the review process, an official transcript must be received. [If you completed your undergraduate degree at UCLA, please notify us via e-mail with your UID as we can pull your transcript internally]. Once official transcripts are received, they cannot be returned to the applicant.
Mailing address: UCLA Samueli School of Engineering, MS ENGR Online Program: 4732 Boelter Hall, Box 951601, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1601
Electronic delivery: (must be sent from the institution, not by the student)
- GRE Scores (school code is 9655). If this requirement has been waived, you may bypass this section on the online application.
- Three letters of recommendation: Individuals may be academic and/or professional.
- Statement of Purpose: Describe your purpose in applying for graduate study. In particular, describe the relationship between your chosen area of study and your current or future employment. Include any additional information that may aid in the evaluation of your preparation for graduate study at UCLA.
- Personal History Statement is NOT REQUIRED
The faculty associated with the applicant’s chosen area of study (specialization) generally evaluate applicants based upon the applicant’s:
- Coursework in courses related to the chosen area of study
- Work experience in relation to the chosen area of study
- Statement of Purpose
It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required application materials by the application deadline. Please do not contact our office to verify if materials have been received. Requesting the status of your application will delay the review of all applications.
When viewing the online application checklist, it may indicate “missing” items from your application. Currently, the test score section of the checklist is not accurately displaying the actual receipt of test scores (GRE, TOEFL). Please disregard this information. We will e-mail you directly if we are missing materials.
While MSOL may send a courtesy e-mail with a recommendation of admission, only official notification from the dean of the UCLA Graduate Division constitutes approval of admission. When a decision is made, applicants will receive an e-mail, directing them to the Graduate Division’s application site to check their “Decision Status.” Applicants should sign-in to their application account to read the official decision letter. If admitted, the conditions of admission and information and instructions concerning registration (via a link to the Statement of Intent to Register – SIR) will be included as part of the offer of admission letter. This letter can also be printed from the Graduate Division site if desired. Admission letters are only available electronically and are not mailed to applicants.
Submitting the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR): We encourage applicants who have received an offer of admission to submit the Statement of Intent to Register as soon as they have decided on a graduate program. Please note that if you submit your SIR after the term’s payment due date, you will be charged a late registration fee. To view important dates/deadlines for each quarter, please visit: https://www.registrar.ucla.edu/Term-Calendar
UCLA Immunization Requirement – Students in the Master of Science in Engineering Online Program are not subject to campus immunization requirements.